View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
With their 7" sets priced under $200, Motorola really gave the public with they wanted at the time. Considering how many of these sets exist today, it's easy to see that they sold well! Very soon the public wanted larger screens though, and with the improvements in programming, were willing to pay more for a set.
First chance I get I'll get the serial number of my blonde VT-71. It's as early a model as they come with the non-copper chassis, non-side-mounted lower front panel, channel 1, and no fine tuning. It also has the early sharp-edged HV box. The date stamped on the rear of the chassis even baffled the seller I got it from as it clearly says "1946"! Obviously this must be just a stamping error, but upon close inspection there is no indication that the "6" is a partial "8". It looks clearly like a "6"! It actually was purchased from the original owner, an old radio/TV repairman here on LI, a couple of years ago!:

Could you post a photo of that date stamp. 1946 does seem a bit early for a VT-71. It could be a very late '46 prototype or pre-intro set sent to distributors or high volume dealers.

-Steve D.