View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM
M is for Memory

If you silicone them in it will be harder to rebuild the can again, and most caps these day are not designed to last the lifetime or three that these sets are likely to be kept around in the collector comunity.

What I do is to arrange my caps together so that they will fit in the can. Then wrap them in electrical tape 1 layer thick( thicker than that on the exposed metal surfaces of course). And wire them to the old phenolic base.

I just got a good idea for you to try. Get a toilet paper roll and cut a stripe along it's length and glue the edges together so that it can be slid in and out of the can cut a piece of card board out and glue it in to seal the top squirt some silicone in the bottom of the cardboard tube, put the caps in before it begins to dry, then squirt some more silicone in after the caps are in. This should give you a card board tube that can easily be pulled out of the can in the future and which should posess whatever benifits you hope to gain from the silicone potting.

Just some thoughts.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4