View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
If there were forums in the 1970's there would be a bunch of guys saying the exact same thing about all that pesky tube gear they had sitting a corner since the cool Solid State stuff was delivered.
For sure. Even round-screen RCAs were considered trash at one time.
Quote:
I liked my way better. Recently hauled a 23" Sylvania console out of the basement. I gutted it first, removing the tube and chassis to make it easier to get up the steps. Crunched the cabinet with my handy dandy sledge hammer and removed the tube from the chassis. Last step was to drop the tube into my trash container after wrapping it in a couple hefty bags, then toss the sledge hammer in the top.

Kablooie! Wahoo! No more tube!
My way of disarming worn out CRTs isn't nearly as dangerous or noisy. I put it out on the deck, leave the door open just enough to get my arm through and take a swing at the neck with my 18"-long Klein-Vaco 1/4" nut driver. I position the CRT so it is completely shielded by the door. The last one was a tough one, took several strikes. When it finally went, the gun assembly busted in half as well. I've never had one implode; there's just a big WHOOSH and that's it.

What can I say, I got more daring as time went by. When I first started in this I wouldn't even open a junk set.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-28-2017 at 02:40 PM.