View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing he doesn't mention is whether or not the set was working.

The description of the set reminds me of my Panasonic CT-34WX54J. I bought it at a flea market a little more than a year ago (on Superb Owl Sunday). The seller and I were able to carry it to the car, and I was somehow able to push it into the breezeway, but I was completely unable to get the 160-pound behemoth up four stairsteps into the house itself, so it sat there since, blocking my view of my Emerson 1224 and the back of my Zenith 5317. I could still watch the Panasonic, though with an awkward looking half way down perspective and in a breezeway that is often cold.

Well, recently, two of my nephews happened to be over, and I made a deal to pay them to carry the set to my bedroom.

I really like this set now that it is a daily watcher. The picture is impressive, and I'm satisfied with it despite its foibles (no sound with HDMI, so I use Component; the left speaker seems to have only its tweeter working, and the focus is imperfect at the corners - suggestions on how to fix or adjust out any of these are most welcome).

Definitely worth the $60 I paid for it and the $10 to the nephews. The set was supposedly worth $900 when new. There were relatively few years between the first HDTV sets hitting the market and the last wide CRT HD sets being discontinued as the prices of LCD and plasma sets plummeted (forcing 16:9 CRTs out of the marketplace).

Kinda sad that people seem to be more impressed with the style of a TV than the performance of the TV.

Last edited by Robert Grant; 03-28-2017 at 09:11 PM.