View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Your scope is pretty old, and non standard by many modern scopes. But it looks like you could still use it for learning about tv and radio. The most important thing I remember about old, and new scopes is before you do anything with an old radio or tv, is to be sure both your scope and test item both are using the same ground. Put a volt meter between the scope ground and whatever you are planning on looking at, or working on. If 0v you should be safe to hoop it up,(ground to ground) just be careful if you unplug anything, remember ac plug polarity, on many sets one side is ground, and if not polarized, and you unplug, and then plug it in again, you may get a spark show.

Your scope lets you choose "sweep circuit osc." from the horoz. on the left. That will set your horiz scan rate. And there are sync select knobs too. Use int. sync. You have a signal source there called the radio frequency osc.

You can take the output of the RFO and put it into the vertical and keep all gain and output settings at min. slowly increase till you see something. Then play with the sync. to get the picture to lock.

You have a neato free-bee learning thing there. I'm pretty sure the one thing you will not be able to see on that scope is a signal with a DC offset. To learn more about how a scope works ask the great wizard of oz... He knows everything (google)

"how do I use an oscilloscope" and other words to that effect. On that one, you can begin just using clip leads to and from the various things on the scope itself. And besides if you get a more modern scope and overload it or connect something the wrong way, you'll be then needing to replace transistors or other stuff inside. That old 505 will be very forgiving, and a great scope to learn on.

Once you learn a little about it, start poking around inside a transistor radio, plenty of good stuff to see there.

And that scope is fully an X-Y mode scope, just put both vert. and horiz. inputs at the top left and right to ext. and then attach something to those inputs and you have X-Y display. (Again be careful with the grounds!) Some of those things might even have a Z cutoff. I have one like that made by one of Tektronix's little brothers.

Last edited by Username1; 05-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Audiokarma