View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
That right there is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love an early crystal set, but most you see were obviously built to the lower end of a price point (like the Philmore sets). Yours is a real gem! Ideally, I'd probably end up looking for a small tube amp of the era to power a horn like that.

Right now I'm puzzling out how something like this works in order to make my Radiola III somewhat portable....but to no avail.
Thanks guys for all you comments. I must say that this is one of the nicest little early crystal sets I've seen.
I would recommend to anyone interested in crystal sets to stick with the '22-'24 era models. This was era when people were still using these as their primary receiver and they often had a look of quality about them. Later on, when radio prices went down, they were basically regulated to nothing more than a kids toy and they looked it.
I've seen the Radiola III made portable by creating a lidded box designed to snuggly fit the receiver, batteries, and headphones. That would be a nice project.
By the way, I believe these early mini Brown horn speakers were actually designed to work with crystal receivers. Using a small modern amp would greatly help, but I actually like the primitive low sound it has as-is! Joe