View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Echolink is okay......I check out *DODROPIN* or *SOUTHCARS* once in a while when the bands are dead. I just Elmer'd a guy in Maryland who passed his Tech yesterday, so I'm gonna use Echolink to dial into his local repeater so we can talk

One thing I didn't mention in my post: I am using Qtel, a software program for Linux (I am running Ubuntu version 17.10 on my computer) which allows access to the Echolink system, and is available for download in Ubuntu's "Software" section. Qtel seems to work well enough through the Echolink test server, and I have also been able to connect to at least two stations, so it must be working as intended. My hat is off to the developer of Qtel and also EL itself, as these programs allow access to Echolink even if one is unable to download the EL client itself and does not have HF equipment. I have been unable to install the EL client itself on my computer due to compatibility issues; it seems, since EL was developed for Windows, the program absolutely will not run on any other operating system unless an external compatibility layer (I can't think of the name offhand) is installed on the user's computer before, not after, Echolink is installed.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.