View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
From my “MEMORIES OF A SELF PROCLAIMED TV JUNKIE”

My father bought our first television in 1954. I was 7 at the time and remember that it was an upright Travler black and white console. Excitedly on Saturday mornings, I planned the entire morning viewing schedule which started with cartoons. Then came The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickcock, (do you remember the raspy throated sidekick, Jingles, played by Andy Devine?), The Lone Ranger, Fury, Sky King, and closing with Mister Wizard. We only had 3 channels back then, and we had to switch to another channel to catch each show. I sat on the carpeted floor enthralled in front of the tube and watched these shows just about every Saturday morning. As a kid, I would set up the “TV dinner tray” (ours was the red/pink roses on black background) and eat my breakfast watching these shows, I did not want to miss a thing.

I saw my first color show in 1956 at my Uncle’s house. We were invited over just to watch his new color television. It was a big deal, we had dinner and then we all sat around the set and he turned it on. It was a drama late at night and the experience was magical. I loved watching television as a kid and now to see it in color was amazing. My parents could not afford a color set and when Disney’s Wonderful World of Color, the color specials, or the Rose Parade was on, I felt left out.