View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 PM
<----Zenith C845

I bought a pair of "Naxa" headphones about three years ago, from Radio Shack IIRC. They are good hi-fi headphones with amazing bass response and an inline volume control. The cord, however, is hardwired to the headphones, not detachable, so you probably wouldn't be interested if you are looking for phones with a detachable cord. The only problem I've had with mine so far is a slight separation of the headphone cord from the male plug at the end of said cord, but I was able to secure it with a few wraps of duct tape.

I've had the separation problem with other types of headphones as well, but with those I didn't catch the separation in time to keep the plug from parting company with the cord. Too bad, as the other phones I had sounded great. I haven't tried to repair the damage to the plug, however, because of the type of wire used in the cable; I don't know if it will take solder or not, and I haven't tried. The wire looks like cheap offshore stuff that isn't meant to be spliced or soldered to if it breaks.

As I said, my Naxa headphones seem to be very high quality, with very deep bass and excellent overall sound when driven by my 50-watt-per-channel (WPC) Aiwa bookshelf stereo system, not to mention having a padded headband and cushioned earcups. I didn't pay a lot for them, either; I don't remember how much, but it couldn't have been more than $20-25. As long as you don't try to overdrive them (I'm not sure of the maximum input rating, but it is probably well under one watt, so I wouldn't try to listen with them to a high-powered amplifier at anywhere near full volume) they will last a long time and, as I mentioned, the sound fidelity is nothing to sneeze at.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.