View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Many times, you'll find old antennas, in like new condition, in attics of older homes. It was better than using set-top antennas, in poorer reception areas.
The house I grew up in, which was built in the mid-'50s, had three attic-mounted television antennas -- one for VHF, one for UHF (for the living-room TV), and a third all-channel antenna for the set in my bedroom. All worked well in that area, which was 30+ miles from the Cleveland TV stations. The VHF antenna for the living-room TV was a 1950s-vintage conical type; the UHF one, if I remember correctly, was a 3- or 4-bay antenna with the screen behind (or in front of) the X-shaped elements. This was a necessity in the area in which my boyhood home was located, as the city was in a near-fringe area for Cleveland TV, in addition to having other reception problems related to the geography of the area. Set-top antennas worked in that area, but reception on certain stations (the PBS affiliate, for example, which was the worst) was often iffy at best, especially in color.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.