View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 12:58 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard View Post
About two years ago, I went on a little road trip (approx 500km round trip) to pick up this 76 Quasar console. Got it from an elderly couple that bought it new in early 77 for 861$ (they still had the receipt for it!). They told me that the TV had been in their basement since about 1991, and that they rarely used it since then. They where happy to see it go to a good home.

The reason, I bring this up now, is that I kept the TV in storage at my stepmother house since, but in a few weeks I bring it home with me, and I wanted to know more about it.

Obviously it's not as collectible as a real Motorola works in a drawer, but it's still early enough to be intersting (to me anyway ).

Please feel free to share your thought about this one!
Thanks!
Looks to me like your TV is Motorola's first Works in a Drawer, a.k.a. WID, set. Until I saw this one I didn't know the WID models were even available in the '70s; I always thought they first appeared in the early eighties. The later WID sets, further, had slide controls for volume and color intensity/hue, with some models having five push buttons on the front panel which could be set for the user's favorite UHF channels, like early car radios, so these sets must have had electronic varactor tuning. This is the first WID set I've ever seen with standard rotary VHF and UHF tuners, so it could conceivably be considered a "first generation" Works in a Drawer set.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-23-2016 at 01:03 PM.