View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

What to do with broken Motorola 5T-1 chassis?

I have a post in the classifieds looking for a replacement case for this really nice radio. Such a shame that USPS creamed the front of what seems to be a fairly rare unit. I say that as I am having no luck finding another one either parts or as a whole.

I yanked the super clean chassis last night to replace the bad power cord and found that the radio had been recapped by someone. WOW! A recap job and no power cord replacement. Oh well, that ball is still in my court. I was wondering why the old thing played so beautifully. Now I know.

Anyway, without a cabinet I don't know what to do. Make a see through out of Lexan maybe? REally not a bad idea, but if I want to show the word the beauty of a warmed up tube radio chassis I may just as well leave the bare chassis sitting on a table with some provision to hold the speaker up. I have comprimised safety with nothing around the chassis, but at least it's a transformer type and not a hot chassis. No big worries as far as getting zapped with one of those.

Last, I could have one of the local retirees build me a home brew cabinet. So there's a few ideas. The best would be finding a darned replacement......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teaserbox_4090585015.jpg (84.6 KB, 36 views)