View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 PM
M is for Memory

If it is a deltagun CRT set and the CRT is good then you've got $100 of CRT with a $10 price tag...If it is inline then it is worth $10 if you want it enough to spend $10 on it.

The tuner is a varactor tuner. A varactor diode is a diode the capacitance of which varies with the voltage across it. BPC sets use digital logic to drive the varactor, early varactor sets use a bunch of resistors to set the voltage for each channel and a big tuning knob shaped switch to select the right resistors...The resistors are variable to provide fine tuning for each channel...Some sets let you set each the resistor for each knob position for any channel (UHF or VHF) you desire to skip blank chanels and or make motorized UHF/VHF remote tuning easier.

I personally try to never buy any all solid state set unless it is a deltagun color that I can keep as a CRT donor, a first inline (like a GE portacolor or an early 70's sony), or something extremely special. There are so many American made vacuum tube and tube/SS hybrid sets out there that even those I can't save all that I find.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4