View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox school TV system

In my junior high, each classroom had a 19" Magnavox TV. The band room was the only one that had the remote and it said "Total Remote Control" on it. He sad they were installed in 1991 for watching Channel One which aired on them each morning. I don't recall if they used them for the morning announcements or not, but at the high school we did use them for the TV production class announcements.

At the junior high they were also sometimes left on all day to use as clocks as a computer screensaver with the time bouncing around was broadcast all day.

The interesting thing about these TVs was that they seemed to be centrally controlled. When it was time for the announcements or Channel One, they automatically turned on. The channel buttons and the display and status buttons did not function, you could only change the volume or turn the set on or off. When the announcements were not on, you could change channels, display, etc.

I was wondering if these were regular TV sets or some special type of set. They were also on wall mounts that had a key lock. I do recall some of the newer buildings at the high school had newer Philips Magnavox 19" without key locks, those building being built in the late 90s/early 00s.

I never really saw any sets exactly like these. My neighbor used to have a 25" Magnavox that had a similar cabinet. Most of these TVs were square cabinets with a speaker on the bottom left and square buttons on the right. The newer ones were a little rounded with buttons in the front center. The band director said the squarer ones were brought in from somewhere else and the rounder ones were brand new in 1991.