View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I worked for a school system that was an early adopter of Channel One, about 1990-91. They did have a central control unit in the media center of each school with two VCRs, one of which the school could use and the other one recorded and played back Channel One. They also had a composite video and audio input so you could connect a computer for the clock or scrolling announcements or any other video source.

Channel One wired the entire school in every case, which was a smart decision considering how bad some of the instructional TV wiring was in each school. They maintained their stuff too. Every now and then a TV would fall off the wall. One fell on top of two Apple ImageWriters in one of our computer labs and the printers still worked OK afterwards.

The TVs were not off the shelf models and as I recall all the signal came from the coax cable. I think they did put a splitter at the TV so you could use a VCR with it in the classroom. The TVs were very trouble-free, but they weren't very large.

I got my parents a 19" Magnavox as a Christmas present in December, 1988 that was very similar to those Channel One sets and it had the same remote. I remember the first thing I saw on that TV after I took it out of the box was the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie disaster in Scotland, which had just happened. It was always a very dependable TV.