Thread: Suprise hoard!
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Not bad! Mine looks to be a gray or white model...I'll still check. CRT is original and strong.

That is the second plain-jane-no-wood-grain Silvertone roundy to enter my collection (see the first below). Spell check is having a fit with that last sentence.

Both look to be CTC-15 clones based on tube count. Dave, was that odd ball a oddly laid out RCA clone?..The new one sure is. PCBs are rotated, and or set at odd angles on the chassis, PCB layout is tweaked, and the whole chassis is secured by lips on the front and three screws on the rear (reminds me of a D16 Sylvania chassis mounting). CRT woke up on it and I've got sound+raster+faint ghosts of unsynced video+color noise working the chroma pots. I think she'll live. (Raster pic is lousy because it was the only one I could get before my camera battery died.)

Fascinating that my model CBS was their last! Another interesting thing about that set is that the owner said that one day decades ago while it was turned off and not being messed with the safety glass just randomly shattered on it's own...Apparently they stored it after that. I recall it having an upright doughnut chassis like many portables of the day, but did not know it folds down...Cool. I still need to test CRTs on the 21" monochrome consoles and move them out of the garage.

More to come later.
The Silvertone is the common Warwick built RCA clone. The one, I'm referring to is a series string, two stage IF with a form of a LE8 color demod circuit. Minimal tube count.
On the CBS, the tubes face the inside of the set. Removing the back exposes the wiring side of the upright chassis.