View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

'65 Magnavox Magnasonic console record player

A few weeks ago, I saw this Magnavox console record player at the flea market. When I first saw it, I noticed no indication of it being solid state anywhere on the unit; but, after I got it home, I discovered that it was indeed solid state and has a date of 2/65 on the chassis. The cabinet is in above average cosmetic condition; but, I had to fix one of the leg mounts where it had ripped out of the cabinet bottom.

When I pulled the back, I discovered that someone had robbed the speakers. The only speaker left was one of the original cone front firing tweeters. I had a couple of full range speakers that I salvaged from a cheap '70's Morse console; but, it would be nice to find some Magnavox originals.

The changer mechanism works perfectly; but, the needle is broken and it appears that the cartridge output is weak. I got a very loud buzz when touching the phono input terminals of the amp; but, I'm going to recap the amp for good measure.

I've included a picture of the remaining tweeter. Hopefully, I can find a matching tweeter or possibly someone could recommend something that's currently made that would be a good choice. I've also included a picture of the warranty tag that I found inside the stereo. You're not likely to find this kind of warranty on modern junk.

This must be my week for finding consoles with missing speakers. The other day, I found a '63 Westinghouse that was missing it's speakers.