View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 02:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
This is a battery model.
How easy is it to implement a battery workaround with DC wall warts etc.?
Depends on voltage and what you want...
Most new wall warts are switch mode supplies that create too much noise to use with AM radio (some supplies are so bad they will jam any set in the house even battery powered portables). Also many switch mode supplies are too low voltage.

If you are okay with somewhat complicated design/build work, look for older wall warts that contain an actual 60Hz power transformer. Most radios can be supplied by 2 such transformers and a hand full of small cheap parts.

Make sure your first wart supplies low voltage AC (or crack it open and remove the diodes and cap). Take the transformer out of the second wart and wire it's low voltage winding to the other transformer's low voltage winding, then feed the second transformer's high voltage winging to a diode bridge rectifier and LC filtering (add a LM317/LM337) regulator to reduce voltage if necessary)...That will be you 'B' supply. Add a diode b ridge to the low voltage winding a LC filter and a regulator (same part as above) wired (or made adjustable) to produce the voltage you need for your 'A' supply.

Remember DC rectified from an AC RMS voltage and filtered will come close to being DC(V)=1.414 x AC(V rms).
You want to choose transformer voltages carefully. A transformer has an AC voltage ratio Vout:Vin a typical step down wall wart may be 120V in 7.5V out would be 1:.0625. Your second transformer may be 120V to 12V that would be 1:0.1, but the second transformer is connected 'backwards' (from winding order perspective) and becomes a step up with a ratio of 10:1 so the pair would be (120VAC*0.0625*10)=75VAC RMS which rectified and filtered will give roughly 106VDC (should have about enough head room after being loaded down for a 90V B+).

You can select different transformers for different voltage targets. Always have a bit of head room, watch for sagging, and make sure your first transformer can source ~2-3 times the current the second is rated for on the low voltage windings of both (to prevent the first from overheating).

I greatly prefer designing the supply for more voltage than desired and dropping it to what is needed with a linear regulator like mentioned above it reduces sagging issues and creates a much less noisy supply.

If I had the battery voltages you need (the current draw of the set would be nice to have), a couple of data sheets, calculator, a pen and a napkin infront of me I could design such a beast with schematic and parts list in 5-20 min. ...In fact I've done this design exercise before several times for various things.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma