View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I understand it, the Howard W. Sams Photofact numbered volumes cover consumer electronics in general. Volumes before #1074 covered ALL types of devices. Later, Sams introduced the "AR" series for Auto Radio, the "MHF" series for Modular High Fidelity, "TR" series for Tape Recorders, "TSM" series for Transistor Radios, followed by several other series such as ComputerFacts and VCRFacts in the 1980's.

The library that I'm purchasing DEFINITELY covers --

Televisions -- 1946-1984
Car Radio -- 1946-1960
Hi-Fi -- 1946-1969

Some Hi-Fi gear is likely still covered in the folders 1-2284 well into the 1970's since Sams wasn't perfectly consistent in its classifications. For example, I've seen several devices covered in 1500-series Sams volumes that probably should have been in the MHF-series literature. If you have questions about a specific make and model, please consult a Howard W. Sams Photofact Annual Index to find the correct Sams volume that corresponds to it. If the index identifies a numbered folder between 1 and 2284 then I will have it in my library. If the index identifies an MHF volume from MHF-1 to MHF-242 then it will not be part of my library.

For those items in my library, I have not yet decided whether I will offer Copy Service as some people do. I want to fully research any copyright ramifications and determine what would be a fair price for such a service in the event that I do opt to offer it. Please be patient while I research the pro and con of this.