View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 AM
RadioHead

I have the '67 Electronics Illustrated with the article on the numbers stations. Even had a slip of an OTP. I first heard them about that time or a couple years later.

Hallicrafters made a good AC/DC SWL radio. Any of the S-38 series would be a good choice, about 50 bucks or less typically. Being AC/DC there are stray voltage issues. Nothing that can't be dealt with if you can solder in a part or wire a new power cord, but old unrepaired units may have some risks. I know at age 9, I woulda loved to own one, shock hazard or not, but perhaps a transistor set is more appropriate.

Any of Zenith's transistorized versions of the Trans Oceanic would be great. The Halli is nice as it has a bandspread dial for fine tuning. Many "casual swl" portable will not tune that well, but you could probably snag a station with patience, good timing and some luck. An outdoor antenna, just a long wire strung out there, would help.

Most of the signals seem quite strong, maybe they're close by me, in the Hall of Records behind Mt. Rushmore maybe??

-Ed