View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
So far my 2020 seems to be flawless....and the 1030 is as new. I had my first 1010 since new, but it started with no vertical about 2 years ago. Fixed it once, and then one day about two months ago it just had nothing but a raster. I hamfisted the thing and it became a basket case as I tried to mess with it without any schematics.

I've come to the conclusion that I can only fix one of these if something "visible" has happened to it like cold solder joints or one of the electrolytics goes South (and it SHOWS since I so far have no way of checking caps yet). The one I got this morning was CHEAP (like ten bucks), but as SOON as I saw it....was obvious someone had been into it already. One of the flexi is torn already :-(

I won't likely bother putting the effort into it or the old one to fix one or build one out of the two. They will just be parts in case I run into a THIRD one with a less serious problem. They are just REALLY hard to work with and too easy to break something else while twisting the flexi....or attempting to run the thing "filet" style on a breadboard troubleshooting it.

The design is truly astonishing, but it makes for a VERY small package that ends up four or five boards all wrapped around eachother and impossible to poke at.

I'm almost positive this little 1" Sony never made it past that prototype. I even asked a couple of my coworkers when I was working at SERA (Sony Entertainment Robot America)...if they had ever seen anything of this. Neither of them had even seen the picture before.

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-02-2012 at 05:49 PM.