View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Once in a while the motor run cap that is used to make the voltage regulating power transformer regulate will fail. IIRC when it does the breaker on the chassis will trip. I've had 5 CCIIs and it's never happened to me, but I've seen atleast 3 cases on these forums...So it's something to be aware of.
I will make sure to keep that in mind once I start troubleshooting. I have yet to see an oil capacitor go bad yet.

Quote:
A point to remember here is that if the socket is scorched, it very well could continue to arc even when the new caps are installed and bring the voltage back down to where it's supposed to be. The scorching produces "Carbon Tracks" which could allow the arc to happen at the lower proper voltage (better conductivity through the burnt carbon VS a virgin socket)

I figure you likely already know this, but in case you didn't, it's worth mentioning......
I had known of it, but didn't consider it. Thank you for the tip. I have attached pictures of what I believe to be from arcing. I am able to scrap it away without issue with my finger so it should clean up nicely. This seems to be a higher hour set, so it could be just use. If it becomes an issue, I may need to source a replacement socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220404_093208.jpg (47.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20220404_093216.jpg (47.3 KB, 56 views)