Thread: Ctc-12
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

did a few house keeping chores on it today, 1st pulled all the tubes and sprayed on contact cleaner, and cleaned the contacts in the wafer switch type tuner. I am not a big fan of the wafer switch types as I find it harder to clean them, but I do like the way the fine tuning works, it has individual plastic screws that move around with the tuner, pushing on a single lever that fine tunes. I find this mech a bit hardier than the little gears and tuning slugs inside the channel coils on the turret types. Cleaned the pots in the front as well, they were a little bit touchy. I have been using a product called slick stuff for years, has a strong citric smell, seems to work very well (does not hurt carbon pots). its a cleaner and lubricant.

Last thing was I cut the 3a3 filament leads down. I had them full length from the new fly, which was about 3" too long, resulting in the lead coming up so high that they nearly touched the plate lead of the 3a3.

I noticed a tiny waft of smoke on startup from under the fly, my guess is its the big power resistor near the choke. the term strip looks fully baked (as they all do) and the wires show charred insulation right at the strip. I know I should replace the wire and sand the term strip so I can get a good connection, but for now I will leave it be.

Its all orig parts wise and I see no reason at this time to go changing anything. the only part change has been to cut out the AC line cap. did not replace it just cut it out so it would not explode on me.

Last edited by DaveWM; 11-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.