View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

1987 Magnavox (rebadged Panasonic) VCR Malfunction

Hi Everyone, I had just bought the other day at the local Goodwill for $15 a 1987 Magnavox Stereo HiFi VCR Model VR9670AT01 (which is quite obviously a rebadged Panasonic VCR). I like to keep a few spare VCRs around because I still have a lot of VHS tapes around and some of them are titles that have yet to be re-released to DVD so VHS is the only way to watch them.

Anyways when I got it home to plug it in and power it up, nothing, it was completely dead, no display, no power-up test nothing.
So I opened it up to check the fuses and none of the fuses were blown (I checked the main power supply fuse, and a secondary power supply that apparently powers the loading mechanism and I checked the fuse for that and it wasn't blown either), I also checked all of the circuit boards for any obvious signs of electrical burns/damage and nothing, it was as clean as a whistle inside not even a speck of dust could be found inside the VCR.

Although one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was that the metal cover that covered the undercarriage of the VCR had signs of water damage but yet the circuit boards underneath were clean no signs of water damage, same for the rest of the VCR.
So now my big question is, how do you have a completely dead VCR without any blown fuses, no electrically damaged circuit boards and no signs of water damage on the VCR except on the bottom cover?
This is really got me stumped because this is probably the cleanest VCR I've ever worked on and yet it doesn't seem to want to power up...

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Or has anyone else had the same problem in the past that could share some repair tips or advice?

Any Help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.