View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
If I remember right, there is a small electrolytic capacitor in a switch mode power supply that goes bad and it will not power up. If it is one of those that has the power supply on the right side toward the back of the unit where the power cord goes in, you can remove it, and recap it. If the fuse was blown then the switch mode SCR would be shorted, and it may have more problems. I'd try recapping it. Seems to me is just a little bugger, like a 4.7Uf or something kinda in the middle of the power supply that opens up and then the whole thing goes dead. Usually if I found one of those that had switch mode supply that was bad I recapped the whole thing.
Yes, you're spot on with where the power supply was in my unit, and there is indeed a 4.7 μF 200 Volt Capacitor right near the middle of the power supply board.
One wierd thing about this power supply is that it was soldered onto the main board on the bottom of the unit.

I will be trying to get a hold of some 4.7 μF 200 Volt electrolytic caps to replace the ones in both power supply boards.
And yes oddly enough this VCR has two power supplies in it.
None of the fuses were blown when I opened it up and checked them (I always check the fuses first thing when I get a non-operable VCR or TV).
So hopefully replacing the 4.7 μF 200 Volt Electrolytics in the Power Supply Boards should bring this VCR Back to life.

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-27-2013 at 12:21 AM.