View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:42 AM
AK Member

The set pulls 645 watts off the AC line and it is a little over 5 ft long. I'd wanted a Concert Grand ever since I went on a service call to fix one in the early 70's. I don't remember what was wrong with the set but I do remember how taken aback I was when I took the back off and saw all those tubes. The customer wasn't home and after I fixed it I put on a Bill Black Combo album (WOW). I got word of this one being available through a post on Antiqueradios.com forum, well one thing led to another and pretty soon I was Southbound in my minivan minus seats to Texas. After 1000 miles over a weekend I had my Concert Grand. So far all I've done to it was replace a couple of 5U4's and drop in a later model Micro-Matic turntable with the lighter tone arm. The filters are original and it is absolutly hum free. As far as room I had to move my 1966 Magnavox Imperial to my Wifes photo studio to have room for it but it's worth it. The cabinet of the Concert Grand is mainly a sealed speaker enclosure, the amplifiers are mounted to the backs of the enclosure and the area just above amps that has all the screws around it is where the horns are, there's also a tunnel just below the tuner that connects the two sides together. I'm still looking for a remote control hand unit for it, it's an RF remote and since these sets are pretty rare the remote is even rarer.....