View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
.... your experience leads me to have completely different feelings about vintage capacitors than you, and whats left of my understanding of college engineering reliability statistics tells me I shouldn't change my mind.
Well I am a professional Electronics Engineer. I know what I have read and been told. In a professional sense, keeping old capacitors like this is wrong. But heck this is a hobby about extreme vintage televisions. The owners of this set put it away in 1960 and forgot about it because by 1960 it was if not obsolete, quaintly old fashioned and dated.

For historical reasons, I want to keep as much originality to it consistent with it working reasonably reliably. Perhaps even the 60 years it sat unused help preserve the electrolytics? Who knows? All I can say is that the capacitors show the correct leakage and capacity and the set will operate for a dozen hours at a time without getting warm.

As for the other components, so long a the picture and sound remain excellent as the set currently does, what is the issue

From purely a hobby perspective and as I wish to keep this set and because I am technically inclined, I am very happy that I have such a good working set with much of its originality maintained
I am going to keep the set running and will update this column as the set approaches 100 hours on time.

Meanwhile I gave an old 630TS someone tried to repair and gave up on. I am going to give it a go and try to clean up the wiring.
Audiokarma