View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM
M is for Memory

@ Jon A: If I decide to get rid of my stereo 8-track car stereo I'll have to mention it to ya. I like the quad units mostly because I've been fascinated with the different formats it was issued on, and obtaining them (aside from my CD4 decoder needing repair I can play all formats marketed in the US and record all tape formats)...I wanted to hear quad through tubes bad enough to start building my own quad tube amp (because it was cheaper than getting two more mono blocks) a year and a half ago (it is the best thing I've built to date).

@ jstout66: I hope mine don't spin in the snow. Despite new tires I did have an issue on friday...I was at a light during/immediately after mild drizzle trying to turn on red, and it was inching along with the (seemingly sufficient) gas I was giving it. With the window to get out of the way closing I gradually applied more gas until suddenly the tires audibly spun and it started to actually move...Granted it was at a light and the conditions were right for a surface oil-slick to form on the road.
If any traction issues develop I'll probably leave some kitty-litter or other ballast in the trunk for the winter.

@ Paul Knaack: Not sure. It's hard to tell there even is one under the enormous air filter enclosure (you could serve a turkey on that thing).
Is there a easy way to distinguish them from each other? I've heard of the Autolite carbs being stock, but I've not seen the Holly mentioned...Were those an option or a popular aftermarket mod?

@ Kamakiri: Nice continental. A year or two ago there was a sky blue one for sale in an area I frequently went past, which put put that era of lincoln back on the map for me (when I was a kid there was IIRC a black Mark V in my neighbor hood).
Yours had the coolest (in my book) of the car radios available in those cars. If that radio was not normally 200$+ on fleabay I'd be trying to buy one. There is something that feels out of place seeing a early digital tuned radio with a built in quad 8-track deck...it would be like a LCD TV with SuperBetamax built in.
The Marks seem to have bolt on frame extenders that the rear bumper mounts to, and one of them on mine is not in particularly great shape compared to the other (and the rest of the under carriage seems in better shape compared to them).

I'll comment on more of your comments later tonight after I get home.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4