View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

HOWEVER....take a look at some of the specs on those old cars. I do NOT think ANY of them could out-run my malibu with it's 3.1 V6..and it will get DOUBLE or BETTER fuel economy while doing so !!

I have driven , or at least been in, a few of those old cars. My mom had a 78 dodge Magnum XE. at the TIME...I thought it was a powerful car, with the 360V-8 and all. But NOW...I look back and wonder what i was THINKING? That old crate had TROUBLE going over 80 or so and it did NOT get good fuel economy. worst of all...it was about DONE...at LESS than 100 k. The specs on it? VERY POOR...by today's standards. About 13 sec. 0-60. Almost ANY car today will beat that !! The malibu will beat that ..even if you give the Magnum about a five car head start !!

In the early 70's...my dad had a Chrysler 300./ It had some large V-8 in it. I doubt it could beat maybe 8s 0-60...a figure that MANY cars today can beat..with LESS than HALF Of the displacement...and go a LOT farther..before they die.

Another thing about those old cars....they really did NOT have NEARLY as much horsepower as stated...since it was rated as GROSS HP... a figure which often is at LEAST a THIRD over rated !! This would mean that an engine with 350 HP GROSS...could REALLY be as LITTLE as 240 REAL HP !! Going the "other way" my Malibu would have at LEAST 225 HP...if rated that way today...Instead of the 170HP is does have...

I just to NOT have the same sentiment for cars...as I do for old tv's, radios and hi-fi stuff....

Last edited by rca2000; 01-07-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Audiokarma