View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
The 2mf cap is not in the circuit during leakage testing, so I don't think that it is the cause of of the closed eye problem.

Just a wag, but is the switch on the power factor pot working ok? might try some De-Ox on it. If the switch is closing ok are the 3 resistors connected to it ok and connected correctly? If the 1k was swapped with the 470k, the switch would have little effect on the current supplied to charge the cap in leakage mode.

I think that the statement in the manual is just a cya statment, since in some cases a large electrolytic could draw enough current to keep the eye closed (5 to 10 ma) and still function fine... really depends on the circuit.

jr
I will check the switch. I assumed it was working as when in bridge mode the pot will alter the eye opening. At first there was flutter as the pot was dirty, but I cleaned that early on. I will have to look at things like the two resistors potentially not being connected correctly. Anything could be connected wrong if the builder installed the wafer function switch upside down.

I really appreciate the input from both of you guys. I have several cap checkers, but I have never had a Knight and you don't see them much. That statement from the manual held me back from the logical troubleshooting that we are beginning to talk about. Now I know its capability and I should be able to sort this out.

As I (for whatever reason) enjoy messing with these old things, I want to develop a better understanding of the circuits and also current flow. Cadillac units like Sprague TelOhmikes' have a panel ammeter for a reason.