View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think clock radios are the next big ticket item in the tube/vintage radio world. They have too long been overlooked and generally low budget items that are hard to get rid of, so most people aren't going to sink much money in caps and such.

I tell ya. If you take interest in those and can figure out how to rebuild/repair the telechron clock mechanisms you could make a little money. They (the motors) sort of gum up or otherwise degrade over time. Recently I had an old Jewel clock radio (late 40s maybe) and that was the problem. The motor just hummed with no movement. I thought that it was incredible that they were well enough made to stand the electrical stress of a locked rotor over seemingly unlimited amounts of time.

I guess that's why the old clock radios that didn't sit too long basically run forever keeping good time in most cases. Good luck and post if you learn anything about telechron movements.