View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 01:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have an AM-FM antique cathedral "replica" radio that uses the same type of circuit board, powered by a transformer mounted to the base of the cabinet. There must have been I don't know how many tens of thousands of these boards made; most of them found their way into small radios like the one being discussed here, some were put into replica antique radio cabinets (as in my set), and so on. A friend of mine has a similar replica antique 4-mode stereo (phono, AM-FM radio, cassette and CD player), and I'll bet the radio uses the same circuit board as the TG&Y set, only the former is AM/FM.

The TG&Y set's circuit board has the usual AM radio circuit layout using IF transformers and the like, but future versions of this and the replica "antique" music systems may have the cheap "one-chip" radio. I have a "Windsor" AM-FM clock radio that I'm almost certain has a one-chip AM-FM radio, as the selectivity and selectivity are terrible (stations are crowded together on the FM radio dial) and the AM section barely works in my area, although the FM gets many (but not all) local Cleveland stations. I am over 30 miles distant from the AM and FM radio stations serving Cleveland; gutless-wonder sets like this are just barely useful in anything except suburban and urban reception areas and next to useless in small towns miles away from big-city stations. I consider myself lucky to be getting any reception at all from the Cleveland stations. A powerful FM station about eight miles from here all but drowns out a Cleveland station 1 MHz away (!), but again, blame that on the radio's very poor selectivity. Oh well, I paid under $10 for this thing at a discount store, and for that little money you just don't expect quality.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.