View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Scroungus Stereophilus

I watched a piece of that myself the other night and thought some similar thoughts, but most about what an innocent age it was made in and how some/much of the material might not fly with today's audiences.
I think the film COULD be made as there is talent out there to do it, but financially it would be very demanding because the old school talent required would be megabucks.

I think a big part of the problem is that today's "stars" lack charm or charisma, certainly the younger ones. I mean where are our modern day Spencer Tracys, Cary Grants, Jimmy Stewarts, Humphery Bogarts, Gregory Pecks, Robert Mitchums, Jimmy Cagneys, Paul Newmans, Katherine Hepburns etc, etc, etc. Maybe I'm still half asleep, but I can't think of any big names since DeNiro, Hoffman, Pacino, Connery, and Nicholson and they actually play themselves, or their most common screen personas, quite a bit. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are pretty good too; I just remember The Shawshank Redemption
Ben Affleck, Jude Law, Leonardo DeCaprio, Matt Damon; I don't think so, but I haven't seen "The Departed" yet either, so maybe I'm selling the last two short.

Films, maybe "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Hustler", "Key Largo", "The African Queen", "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", "The Philadelphia Story", or any film based upon a play, which seem to demand real acting skills and not just a pretty face going through the motions. I probably should include "The Godfather" too, but who would even TRY on that one???

Then again, maybe some Hollywood douchebag would try it with an all black cast and include Wesley Snipes, Cedric the Entertainer, Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, and some rappers......