View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. I still have some toning and further lacquer work to do on the cabinet. Not happy with the "overall" sort of same color effect.

The decals are waterslide type. The decal paper has a thin clear film, then a thin layer of glue, and finally a paper backing. Once the text is fused by heat onto the clear layer, I've found it easier to work with if it's misted with a little clear Deft and let dry, otherwise the film is too flimsy to manage, especially on larger decals. Then the individual words are cut out. Now you've got a rectangle with the word centered in it. With just a touch of dish detergent on your finger as a wetting agent, you dip your finger in water and wet the panel area where the decal is to go. Then dip the cut out decal in water for 2 seconds and wait about 20 seconds at which point you can start to slide the film around on the paper backing. This is the tricky part: now you edge the film onto the watery surface of the panel and ease the paper out from under it. Using fingers and a soft artist's brush, nudge the film around into position. Everthing is sopping wet at this point. If you're not careful the film will buckle: it's strong but easy to screw up. If it does buckle or wrinkle you can smooth it out with the brush. Once in position let it set up a bit and meanwhile dry up the water around the decal with a paper towel, but don't touch the decal yet or it will move. If you bump it out of position you can drip more water on it and still move it. Little by little you can gently dry the decal and use the brush to "paint" out any water or bubbles under the film. Phew! Brain surgery. I let it dry for a day and then continue with my finish coats of Deft Gloss on the whole set, which also protects the decals.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.