View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 PM
RCA 741PCS

I found a computer power cord the same diameter, cut the ends off and wired it in.

I like how the power transformer has four padded feet. That makes it very easy to work on. I set all the controls to their "safety" positions as indicated in the manual and turned it on.
It's alive

After letting it warm up for a while, I set it up to test a 6J6. I'd rather fry one of these than a more valuable tube if something goes wrong.
It passed all tests with flying colors. I'm amazed at how well calibrated this device is after all these years. Probably due to the use of precision wirewound resistors.

Next, I tested a 24A. I'm not crazy about the grid cap clip. I takes a lot of pressure to open and that thick rubber insulation gets in the way. Much easier to use with it pulled back.

I've been slowly collecting some early globe tubes for my radios - 182B, 42 globe, 484, etc. I've only been able to test them in an emission tester so far. Now, I can really put them to the test. Here's a 42 globe. I need a matched pair for my Philco 15DX.

A perfect score of 2,000

Last edited by bandersen; 12-17-2010 at 09:33 PM.