View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Does your ultrasonic remote tester have the mod to test IR remotes and System 3 drive signals? Zenith went all out with mods to the '240, with neat little articles among their service lit showing how to use it for just about everything. We had a Ziploc style bag with all of the addons for checking horiz drive, vertical drive, and some other checks that involved resistors clipped into the circuit, with the '240 attached in parallel to one of the resistors. I'll di around and see what I can find.

The IR mod added a IR diode, and you drilled a hole in the case to accommodate the diode. The drive mod added two leads and the leads came out of the case through the ultrasonic mic slats cut in the case. The rest of the "mod" parts were external - mostly resistors and a cap or two for coupling. Zenith really liked to add tasks to the remote checker. GE had a similar bitch box for checking their sets - dropped it's use entirely after the MA/MB chassis sets. I used it to check B+ right up into the 2000s. Really neat little testers...

Cheers,
Oh wow, and I only got it as a supplement to my ultrasonic remote collection and because I had never seen one before. The only mod done to this unit is a notch cut in the case that brings the battery connector to the outside. This was done by the previous owner.