Thread: Antique? not!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 03:22 PM
<----Zenith C845

Re: Antique? not!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
This RCA cathedral style radio is discribed as a remarkable vintage find. It is very much a reproduction. I have the GE version and it is a nice contemporary version of an old radio. I purchased mine at K-Mart several years ago. I hope these bidders are not being fooled. e-bay item: #734060948.

I agree 100 perecent, Steve. I also have a small cathedral set in my bedroom that is obviously a reproduction of a 1934 antique. This set even has "1934" in raised numerals on the brass dial bezel. It is not, however, an antique. Several things give it away: one, the circuitry is all solid state; two, it receives both AM and FM (88-108 MHz); three, the AM broadcast band extends from 530 to 1710 KHz. I purchased this radio for $20 at a local discount store about two years ago. It was most likely manufactured by either Thomas or Crosley; both manufacture reproduction sets which look amazingly similar to the originals. Philco also makes a CD/cassette/phonograph combo unit that looks like it could have been made in the '40s, but it wasn't. It too is a reproduction.

The point I am trying to make is that the set you saw on ebay was being misrepresented, in the worst way, as you noted. These reproduction sets are just that--reproductions of old-time radios, nothing more and nothing less. The seller of the one you mentioned, moreover, could be committing a serious crime, as I am sure it is immoral at best and illegal at worst to misrepresent items being sold at auction, on or offline. Does not ebay have rules addressing this issue? If not, I think they should. The seller of that RCA on ebay is defrauding bidders and potential bidders by passing it off as a genuine antique radio, when in reality it is simply a reproduction.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.