View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I have seen factory non-remote power tuning Zenith's a few times before and they do work without the remote chassis. Based on what I have seen of the SC600 combo set I own I believe the tuner motor can operate without the remote chassis (as long as you connect it to a source of 120VAC). I'm planning to try it out soon without the SC chassis to test the motor.

You may want to decide the letter suffixes on the model number. My 1959 Zenith wasn't optioned with a remote, but the cabinet and chassis had provisions for one such that I could add one easily.
IIRC in 59 they had a U model suffix for the cabinet and an R suffix for remote. (There would also have been a suffix for non-remote power tuning). Note I may not be remembering the exact letter used to designate the option.
Basically the model number for example cabinet with base options of manual VHF only tuning would be something like B2506 (B being the year) and if you liked the cabinet but wanted it with UHF and remote you would order a model B2506UR. Some TV only sets also offered "HI-FI sound" which was a set of tone controls...IIRC those also had a suffix.
OK, that makes more sense explained that way, I'm familiar with Zenith products but mostly their tube radios and record players, and their later Solid State TVs and their VCRs (which were rebadged JVC and Goldstar VCRs) but I'm not as familiar with their TVs from the 1950s and 1960s and how they worked and how they were or weren't equipped.

My bigger Zenith TV, the Model number is L2717U3 and the Chassis is 15L22 (at least according to the back cover).

So According to your explanation the "U" Suffix meant "UHF" so the what did the "3" Suffix after the "U" suffix refer to?

Also you said the the Letter Prefix at the beginning of the model number referred to the year the TV was made, so then what year does the letter "L" represent? Also My TV does have a tone control on the front of the cabinet in the "pencil box" compartment does that make it a "hi-fi" model or does it have to have both a bass and treble controls for that and not just a single tone control pot?

Also can the yoke still work properly without the plastic cover over it and without the centering ring?

I'm asking because the plastic cover that goes over the yoke on the big Zenith had more or less crumbled in several spots resulting in the centering ring falling off.