View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Gotcha. That's the first test I ran, so I can say with certainty that it was a very small spark. The screwdriver didn't have to quite touch the metal inside the cap, but it had to come very close to get a spark. I'd estimate a maybe 1/16" spark? Maybe less. So it sounds like my HV is low.

I keep thinking back to that Horizontal Hold control. It may be a red herring, but I was noticing some significant power supply defects when I adjusted that control before I recapped in. Specifically, a DTV converter box on the same outlet would actually reset itself as if the power were interrupted if I turned that control all the way up. Obviously I didn't repeat the test after I figured out what was happening, but I hope I didn't damage something doing it. A short somewhere, maybe? I checked the control, and it seemed to test fine, though I need to go back and make sure I'm testing the three leads correctly. I used to know how to do that, but it's been so long I've forgotten the specifics. I did notice that, at the extreme end, it drop from kohms down to ohms, which seemed extreme. I wonder if I've got a bad control, though that wouldn't explain the low voltage elsewhere.

I think I'll still give R79 a looksee. Worst case, I've practiced testing a resistor, and I might find a problem.