View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
I have a Sencore LC53 that I have a couple of questions about. First I know I do not have the correct low capacitance probe, but shouldn't it give a reading even if the value is off? Would the probe make a difference for capacitor leakage measurements? Currently I can connect the clips together and it will zero on inductance, but no change with probe clips disconnected when trying to zero for capacitance. The display comes up with 000 and does not change even with a known good capacitor. Leakage test shows 0000, even on known leaky caps. When checking value the correct led comes on for uf, and on leakage the indicator comes on for higher voltages.
Any ideas?
Do you ever get any reading other than 000? If the clock oscillator wasn't running, you'd get no reading other than 000 or other, fixed, nonsense display. Are all the power supplies up and running at the right voltage? Don't buy a manual - there are free ones on the web..

Has anyone "worked" on it before?

The low capacity cable (same as used with most LCXXX Sencore testers) is just a known length of RG58, RG59 or RG213 - nothing special beyond the known length, and thus, the total capacitance of the cable...

I have an LC53 that had a bad power tranny - I can dig it i out and see how complete it is, perhaps to offer troubleshooting assistance.

My main LC meter is the Sencore LC102, but for quick checks, I use one of those $15 Chinese Transistor tester/capacitance meter/ESR meter/freq counters like this:

http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-G...l?rmmds=search

Best 15 bux I've spent in a while - 9 days shipping from China, and about an hour to pur together and calibrate.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!