View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yeah, those SG613s are easier to get than a high-value, fully-insulated focus control or a spare sync separator for my Sylvania Superset. I've been looking for the latter since shortly after I got the set well over a year ago.

So the Sonys got singled out along the way, kind of like the Pintos and Bobcats did for catching fire when rear-ended when many other cars of the era could go up just as easily. Still, I don't like that the CRTs go bad easily, don't rejuvenate well and can't be subbed with another brand. I have a Sony parts set with a CRT whose code starts with 520; not a common size.

So lots of problems with Zenith huh? I'm not really surprised. Mine was troublesome the whole time I was using it, and apparently the horizontal picture shift is common and can't be corrected. My Electrohome console produces a nicer picture, has a far nicer cabinet (a far cry from the Zenith's crap plastic, I'd rather particle board) and hasn't given me a lick of trouble since I fixed the cold joint on the left horizontal blue control and set it up.

I though bringing up a SS set on a variac was a no-no.

Last edited by Jon A.; 11-01-2016 at 03:55 PM.