View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

1989 Quasar 4-Head VCR need some info

Greetings everyone, yesterday afternoon I went to the local Goodwill store to drop off some donations and I went inside to look around and I found sitting on the shelf in the electronics section a 1989 vintage Quasar 4-Head monoraul VCR that has a 188 Channel Quartz tuned Cable Compatible tuner and has on-screen programming and display and does work really well yet (it plays tapes as it should.)

Now for the interesting part, on the back of the VCR it says that the VCR was assembled in the USA with Japanese and US components, and it also doesn't mention anything about Quasar being a subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (Panasonic) like later Quasar branded stuff did, and I know the Quasar brand name came from Motorola here in the US originally.

My question is, did Panasonic have some of their Quasar branded products made by Motorola here in the US for a short while after Panasonic's purchase of the Quasar name from Motorola in order to keep the name recognition going with the US Consumers who were familiar with the Quasar name when it was under the Motorola name plate?

If so how common is it to find a Quasar VCR that was made by Motorola here in the US?