View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I'm guessing that the text print port means that this set has a Teletext decoder.

I can't recall what the RGB port would be on these. There's a good possibility it's not compatible with anything current; for example, it could be TTL logic levels.

Maybe somebody who knows for sure will chime in.
I have a Zenith SMS1917SG 19" table model TV (new in 1995) which has a Teletext decoder, but no printer port or RGB port. I never used the decoder, although I might have seen teletext activity through that system had I been in the Atlanta area. I think WTBS-TV (channel 17) in that city was experimenting with teletext in the late 1980s-early '90s. The teletext decoder in my Zenith TV has two modes, Text 1 and Text 2, selectable from an onscreen menu; I think text 1 was standard teletext, but I am not sure what the second TT option would have been used for. In any event, since my area's TV stations were not conducting teletext tests or using the system at all (I doubt they were), I never knew if the TT decoder in my set worked or not.

While my set has the teletext option in the OSD menu, however, I am not sure if the decoder would have been usable since there are no RGB or printer ports on the back of the set; the only input jack there is a 75-ohm connector for antenna or cable TV. Since the set has no RGB or printer ports, I can't help but wonder why the TV had a teletext decoder in the first place, unless it was designed only for on-screen readout, the RGB/printer ports were available as extra-cost options, or if there was a special model of this TV that indeed had the ports built in.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma