View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Speakerfixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
I watched a piece of that myself the other night and thought some similar thoughts, but most about what an innocent age it was made in and how some/much of the material might not fly with today's audiences.
I think the film COULD be made as there is talent out there to do it, but financially it would be very demanding because the old school talent required would be megabucks.

I think a big part of the problem is that today's "stars" lack charm or charisma, certainly the younger ones. I mean where are our modern day Spencer Tracys, Cary Grants, Jimmy Stewarts, Humphery Bogarts, Gregory Pecks, Robert Mitchums, Jimmy Cagneys, Paul Newmans, Katherine Hepburns etc, etc, etc.
I'd have to say, Johnny Depp comes pretty darn close to being able to be the "universal actor", as in being able to handle most any role like Cary Grant, Jimmy Cagney and such.

Another one that (when given a good role) really shows up his craft, is Billy Bob Thornton. Check out "The Man That Wasn't There", if you think they really don't make film noir anymore. It's the real deal...

Another thumbs-up for Tim Robbins. His performance in "The Hudsucker Proxy" was, IMHO, as good as most any of the classic performances of any of the actors cited above, from earlier days!

Regards,
Gordon.