View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM
M is for Memory

I think the advice they gave you on the Philco is BS. Unless you cooked an RF or IF transformer, or destroyed the tuning capacitor, bandswitch, or dial there are no other parts on that chassis that can not be cheaply and easily bought. There are some people who are frankly TOO LAZY to bother dealing with a set that has had messy and possibly error filled work done to it.

If I had time, the schematic(though I probably do have a copy somewhere), and the parts I mentioned were good and unmolested then I could make that set work even if you clipped half of the unmentioned parts out and threw them away...It can be a drag to do it, but once you've pieced together a good working 20's era set from 2-3 as I have done(more than once) it becomes easier.

If the elmers you have are lazy your best bet is to teach your self restoration on an easy set. Go for a single band AM AA5 or low tube count transformer powered set with LOTS of room between the tubes and cans above chassis as that is usually a good indicator of an open under chassis layout, and avoid late 30's and 40's Zenith and Philco sets (the rubber wiring they used is a b!tch to deal with even if you're used to it).
Start by tracing every line in the schematic and identifying every part in the schematic(the schematic is your road map and the better you are at reading it and following it the easier finding wiring errors becomes), then once you are comfortable with that replace the electrolytics and paper capacitors one at a time doing a test power up after each one(if the set could be powered up safely before the recap).

Once you have successfully done a few easier sets and are good at following a schematic revisit that Philco and scrutinize all your old work for errors (such as connecting a wire or part to the wrong place) and look for problems in untouched areas that you could have possibly caused...Such as dripping solder on a tube socket and shorting two pins together disturbing a rubber wire such that the insulation crumbled and allowed it to short to something.

Keep in mind that Philco set has VERY dense under chassis wiring and sets like those can be challenging even to experienced restorers.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4