View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I took the plunge and joined my local Historical Radio Society.(Alabama Historical Radio Society) I will be working one on one with gentlemen who have been doing radio restorations for years. I took the Philco in, and they gave me two options: Find a new chassis, or part it out. I obviously was not too enthusiastic about the latter, so I will try my best to look for a new chassis. They said I butchered it when I made a futile attempt at recapping it. But I digress. The first time I went to the meeting, I was taken to the "Annex" or the dungeon where members are free to search for free restoration projects. I do need some advice on making the plastic (not bakelite) cabinet shinier. I will be getting professional help restoring this one. The radio shown is not mine, mine is still waiting for repair at the next meeting.
Yah, I heard that from an older auto-body restorer about my 1967 Grand Prix Convertible. Like you can find them anywhere! I said "it just needs a trunk floor and quarter panels, AND THE FRAME IS EVEN SOLID"

The gentleman that told you that is still in "they're everywhere and cheap" mindset most were spoiled in during the 60s.
I say you will find the parts to do it right, dont give up after hearing one opinion..

I like those GE sets, something special about them, comfy-cozy new England look.