View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Low band (band 1) in Britain was 5 channels numbered 1 to 5 & carried BBC1 using the 405 lines system. (6 was in high band) There were 5 high power transmitters, one on each channel. Channel 1 was used by Alexandra Palace then Crystal Palace (from 1957) for the London area, channel 2 from Holme Moss for northern England, channel 3 from Kirk-O-Shotts for central Scotland, channel 4 from Sutton Coldfield for English midlands & channel 5 from Wevoe for South Wales & West of England, all with vertical polarisation, (Rods vertical) these covered most of the population by the early 50's. They then started to reuse channels for medium power stations: channel 1 was used by Divis for Norther Ireland, channel 2 from North Hessery Tor for South Devon & east Cornwall, channel 3 from Isle of Wight for Southern England, Channel 4 from Meldrum for North east Scotland & channel 5 from Pontop pike for North east England. The medium power stations used a mix of both horizontal & vertical polarisation to try & reduce co-channel interference. Then from the mid 50's the low band exploded with dozens of medium & low power stations up till the mid/late 60's, all carrying BBC1. High band was used by ITV starting in 1956 & in the mid 60's for a few BBC1 transmitters...
Fascinating. I lived in Scotland just outside Glasgow in the early Seventies and there were only three channels, BBC1, BBC2, and STV. I don't remember what dial positions they were on though. I do remeber when our 13 inch colour tv broke down the repairman said he had to take it to the shop because it was "one of those new transistorised sets" and he could not fix it in the house.