View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Conrac broadcast monitor - please help identify exact model, where to find?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to correctly identify a Conrac color broadcast monitor (see picture) and was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

About 25 years ago I was given this exact monitor as a gift by my high school physics teacher who wanted to get rid of it since it was taking up too much space in his small prep room. The monitor was in mint condition and had very low hours - someone must have purchased it for some long forgotten purpose and never gotten around to using it.

I used it as a color display for my first PC and was very happy with its performance and the fact that I had gotten it for free! It came with a detailed manual that included parts lists and schematics which helped me a lot trying to figure out how to hook it up. If I remember correctly, it had at least a 19" screen and was made some time in the early to mid 70s. Unfortunately, when I left for college a few years later, my parents re-purposed my room and couldn't wait to get rid of 'that eyesore' and put it out to the curb (including the manual).

I do not remember the exact model/type, but I do remember that it had 5 BNC connectors on the back, R, G, B, H, V, which worked wonderfully for the PC setup. The colors on this monitor were unlike anything I had seen on a screen before - really bright and vibrant, almost 'radioactive'. It had a ton of knobs behind the top panel that would allow for adjusting the convergence, and knobs at the bottom for hold, linearity, brightness, contrast, etc. It had a modular build - everything was neatly tucked away under aluminum covers - and very high quality of craftsmanship.

For many years, I was completely unable to find any documentation about this beast until a few weeks ago when I stumbled across a post by some urban explorers who were taking pictures inside a decommissioned nuclear power plant - lo and behold, in the middle of the reactor control room sits my long-lost monitor!

If anyone can positively identify the exact model, I would be very grateful. Furthermore, if anyone knows where to obtain one (my ebay, industrial surplus, google, auction, etc searches have failed me) and would like to share that information with me, that would be absolutely amazing.

Thank you for your consideration!

(the picture is courtesy of imgur user "zooooooooo" - thank you for finding this!)