View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM
creepingnet

Long story as short as I can make it. I was barred by family from learning to drive until I was 18 and it became a necessity for various reasons, one of which left me for a week on my own with both mom's brand new 02' Sport Trac and the 1993 Ford Explorer Sport she bought brand new in 93' that has a 5-speed.

I was told that I had to learn to drive the Explorer Sport that week or lose it IIRC, so I found an kinda-sorta' abandoned road near my house, and spent 30-60 minutes of every day of that week learning to drive stick in that truck till I had it down well enough to get it gas as it was running low by Friday. It was transferred fully into my name and my own insurance account not long after.

Funny part is I'm still daily driving that thing at 410K now and the reason is I never saw a reason to replace it. It's been as reliable as a Toyota or a Honda, it runs and drives like new on the original engine and transmission, and it looks incredible for being almost 30 years old - the paint still has a showroom gloss with only some nicks here and there. It's also very easy and cheap to fix and maintain. I really won the lottery with this vehicle.