View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fuel pump troubles

So, this car was having trouble starting when the gas tank was down to less than 1/2 a tank or so. After a while, I spotted a slow leak from the fuel pump (It's a frame-mounted electric unit sitting just in front of the gas tank.) I got a new one, but I had siphoned the tank down to just a few gallons before I swapped it because I was worried about fuel leaking out when I disconnected the pump, and the car wouldn't start at all afterwards with the new pump.

After doing a little research I found out that this car actually has two fuel pumps. The other one is located inside the gas tank. I think it makes some sense if it is the pump in the gas tank causing the trouble: if some seal on the pump is not really sealed I can imagine that it works ok only when it is submerged?

I have a replacement second fuel pump, but I haven't dropped the gas tank yet, which it looks like I have to do to replace the second fuel pump. What worries me about this is the weird fuel lines this car uses.

Weird fuel lines:

They are made of some kind of hard plastic with ends that look like several rubber washers stacked up. Whatever you hook the line onto slides through the middle of the washers. A plastic clip fits in-between the rubber washers (which I have yet to figure out how to remove without breaking), and these fittings can rotate freely around whatever they hook onto even after they are clipped in.

Now I'm fairly certain that the leak that I saw earlier wasn't from the outer fuel pump, but from one of these fittings (the one on the gas tank side of the frame mounted pump). Does this type of line only come in set lengths (if I can even get it), or can you get any length of line and put on your own fittings with the right tools? Or if that's possible, can I just keep the line already in there and change the fittings?

I'll try to post a pic of these weird fittings I'm talking about later today.